Of Gods And Men: The Daybreak Empire is a turn-based strategy RPG in the pixel art retro style of classic tactical games from the 90s and early 00s. We’ve mixed unit-based tactical combat, overworld territory management, a rich story-driven campaign in a unique fantasy world.
The story follows Saaga, the leader of a backwater kingdom on the edge of Tamira, disillusioned with her place in a world of people governed by the whims of bored gods and greedy lords. But when a general from the mainland comes to her begging for help, a chain of events is set off leading her on a path of war and diplomacy to create the greatest empire the world has ever seen.
Creative Direction and Design
- Initial proposal for a PC 2D story driven strategy game developed in Unity
- Creative direction and mechanics design
- Direction of art and ludonarrative design in relation to core concept
- Design of "grand strategy" influenced overworld mechanics and its interaction with unit based turn based strategy combat.
- Extensive play testing of maps and mechanics, including recreating and isolating reported bugs
- Unit design and direction
- Research and collection of aesthetic references
- Pixel art and animation for initial phase of development
- Narrative design
- 7000+ word dialogue heavy script
- Formatting of script into machine readable
- Composed and produced 6 looping tracks
- Email campaign with Mailchimp
- Series of scheduled character and faction posters for social media
- Design of graphics for steam, itch.io, facebook, and twitter